75 Inspirational Quotes About Giving Yourself Grace
In a world that often demands perfection, I’ve always struggled to remember that I am only human. Life throws its fair share of challenges our way, and sometimes, we find ourselves battling with our own despair. But here’s the beautiful truth that I have learned: there exists a powerful concept known as grace.
Grace is about embracing your own experiences and forgiving yourself along the way. Showing yourself a little grace means recognizing that you are a work in progress and that imperfections are not permanent shortcomings. Instead, they are stepping stones toward becoming the best version of yourself.
In our quest for self-improvement, it is easy to forget the importance of giving ourself grace. We push ourselves relentlessly, as if hard work and determination are the only measures of success. However, it’s equally important to show ourselves grace in the hard moments.
To help you learn this important personal growth skill, I have put together this list of 75 inspirational quotes about giving yourself grace. My goal is to share words that have been a reminder for me when I struggle to practice grace so that they may be of use in your own personal life.
What are the benefits of reading quotes about giving yourself grace?
As a recovering perfectionist, I have found wise and thoughtful quotes to be a guiding light on my own personal growth journey. During my ongoing quest to conquer perfectionism, I have discovered that reading quotes about giving yourself grace has several benefits.
1. Inspiration. Inspirational quotes about grace always motivate me to be more forgiving and compassionate with myself. Reading quotes about giving yourself grace regularly is the best way to make a habit of forgiving yourself when you feel like you have failed.
2. Resilience. Quotes about grace have helped me build resilience and a growth mindset to view the setbacks that I face in my life as opportunities for growth, rather than permanent defeats (something perfectionists really struggle with!).
3. A Mindset Shift. Reading quotes that focus on the topic of grace helps to foster a positive mindset that can steer you away from self-criticism and redirect your thoughts towards self-acceptance.
4. Motivation. Inspirational grace quotes can also serve as a daily dose of motivation. The right quotes can nudge us toward becoming the best version of ourselves without succumbing to perfectionism. This is a delicate balance that a lot of people struggle with.
5. Empathy. Reading about grace helps us process and overcome our own struggles. This in turn allows us to express empathy for others.
6. Reflection. I have found that the best grace quotes are excellent prompts to reflect inward in order to see my own experiences in a new light. Using quotes about giving yourself grace as journal prompts for self growth is a fantastic personal growth practice!
7. Stress Reduction. Quotes about grace have helped to alleviate stress in my life by promoting balance. Your favorite quotes can remind you that hard work should always be complemented by self-compassion!
How do we give ourselves grace?
Giving yourself grace isn’t something that happens overnight. Even after years of practice, I still struggle to treat myself with kindness on my worst days. But in general, I have found these strategies helpful when I need a reminder to show myself grace.
1. Rethink your expectations. To be kinder to myself, I worked hard to rethink what I expect from myself. Take a minute to pause and think about whose rules you’re trying so hard to follow. These rules might stem from your past or from comparisons to unrealistic standards we see all around us (especially social media).
2. Understand your mindset. Reflect on how you react when faced with setbacks or mistakes. Do you tend to adopt a growth mindset, viewing failures as valuable lessons and opportunities for improvement? Or do you have a fixed mindset, associating errors with personal weakness and fearing the loss of credibility? Recognizing your default mindset can help you navigate challenges more compassionately.
3. Embrace failure and mistakes. Failure is really just a stepping stone on your journey. A growth mindset fosters resilience, allowing you to learn from mistakes and see them as a testament to your effort. I have learned not to shy away from taking calculated risks and stepping outside my comfort zone. It’s in those moments of discomfort that I have found the most significant growth in my personal life.
4. Practice self-compassion. Start by acknowledging that you are enough just as you are. Embrace difficult emotions rather than engaging in self-criticism, and understand that worthiness isn’t tied to constant self-improvement.
Learning to give yourself grace is a journey toward self-acceptance and self-compassion, recognizing that your uniqueness and imperfections are what make you beautifully human.
75 Inspirational Quotes About Giving Yourself Grace
One of the best ways to inspire yourself to choose grace is by reading the wise words of others who have practiced and live the art of grace.
Many quotes about giving yourself grace speak about it as a spiritual experience. However, grace is something that you are able to show yourself regardless of your spiritual beliefs.
Incorporating these quotes into your daily routine can help you develop a positive and growth-oriented mindset, which will in turn help you choose a kinder and more forgiving outlook when you need it most.
- “Grace is something you can never get but can only be given. There’s no way to earn it or deserve it or bring about any more than you can deserve the taste of raspberries and cream or earn good looks.” – Frederick Buechner
- “Grace releases and affirms. It doesn’t smother. Grace values the dignity of individuals. It doesn’t destroy. Grace supports and encourages. It isn’t jealous or suspicious.” – Charles Swindoll
- “That is the mystery of grace: it never comes too late.” – Franois Mauriac
- “Grace, like water flows to the lowest part.” – Philip Yancey
- “Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Life is full of awe and grace and truth, mystery and wonder. I live in that atmosphere.” – Dion DiMucci
- “In loving one another through our works we bring an increase of grace and a growth in divine love.” – Mother Teresa
- “Grace can neither be bought, earned, or won by the creature. If it could be, it would cease to be grace.” – Arthur W. Pink
- “Patience is a virtue; virtue is a grace.” – Jacob Rees-Mogg
- “Grace needs to be the air we breathe, the atmosphere we live in, whether in church or in the home.” – Allen Snapp
- “Good men do not always have grace and favor, lest they should be puffed up, and grow insolent and proud.” – John Chrystostom
- “All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” – Flannery O’Connor
- “The most liberating act of free, unconditional grace demands that the recipient give up control of his or her life.” – Timothy Keller
- “If animals could speak, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much.” – Mark Twain
- “Grace is giving yourself a free pass and realizing that it isn’t free at all.” – Erin Loechner
- “Whatever we are waiting for – peace of mind, contentment, grace, the inner awareness of simple abundance – it will surely come to us, but only when we are ready to receive it with an open and grateful heart.” – Sarah Ban Breathnach
Best Grace Quotes
- “Grace will follow us even when we are going the wrong way.” – Ricky Maye
- “Beauty is grace and confidence. I’ve learned to accept and appreciate what nature gave me.” – Lindsay Lohan
- “Grace must find expression in life, otherwise it is not grace.” – Karl Barth
- “Grace comes into the soul, as the morning sun into the world; first a dawning; then a light; and at last the sun in his full and excellent brightness.” – Thomas Adams
- “By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- “I give grace because I so desperately need it.” – Lysa Terkeurst
- “Grace is the love that gives, that loves the unlovely and the unlovable.” – Oswald C. Hoffmann
- “Grace is sufficient even though we huff and puff with all our might to try and find something or someone that it cannot cover. Grace is enough.” – Brennan Manning
- “Grace gives power to do good.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Grace is the beauty of form under the influence of freedom.” – Friedrich Schiller
- “Grace has the ability to change anything at any time.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- “For me, every hour is grace. And I feel gratitude in my heart each time I can meet someone and look at his or her smile.” – Elie Wiesel
- “I want, of course, peace, grace, and beauty. How do you do that? You work for it.” – Studs Terkel
- “Grace is what picks me up and lifts my wings high above and I fly! Grace always conquers! Be graceful in everything; in anger, in sadness, in joy, in kindness, in unkindness, retain grace with you!” – C. JoyBell C
- “Grace is a divine strength.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Where there is no truth there is no grace.” – Nachman Of Breslov
Favorite Quotes About Giving Yourself Grace
- “Grace is the voice that calls us to change and then gives us the power to pull it off.” – Max Lucado
- “Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace.” – May Sarton
- “The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances.” – Aristotle
- “Infuse your life with action. Don’t wait for it to happen. Make it happen. Make your own future. Make your own hope. Make your own love. And whatever your beliefs, honor your creator, not by passively waiting for grace to come down from upon high, but by doing what you can to make grace happen… yourself, right now, right down here on Earth.” – Bradley Whitford
- “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
- “When grace moves in… guilt moves out.” – Max Lucado
- “Believe the best about people. Pray for their shortcomings. You are not the standard. We all need grace.” ― LeCrae
Inspirational Grace Quotes
- “Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; ‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far and grace will lead me home.” – John Newton
- “For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.” – Saint Augustine of Hippo
- “Grace is the overflowing favor of God, and you can always count on it being available to draw upon as needed.” – Oswald Chambers
- “I want to focus on God’s grace and give thanks for all the good things in my life. I don’t want to focus on what I don’t have.” – Joyce Meyer
- “Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected.” – Jonathan Edwards
- “I am redeemed and saved by grace.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Grace is free sovereign favor to the ill-deserving.” – Benjamin B. Warfield
- “Courage is grace under pressure.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “The law works fear and wrath; grace works hope and mercy.” – Martin Luther
- “For me, every hour is grace.” – Elie Wiesel
- “And as grace is free, so is it sure. Nothing can change, or alter, or turn away sovereign grace.” – Alexander Whyte
- “Love is the crowning grace of humanity, the holiest right of the soul, the golden link which binds us to duty and truth, the redeeming principle that chiefly reconciles the heart to life, and is prophetic of eternal good.” – Petrarch
- “Grace is a power that comes in and transforms a moment into something better.” – Caroline Myss
- “Grace is not just enough, it is more than enough.” – John Paul Warren
- “Feel your grace and beauty.” – Adrienne Posey
- “Grace is a gentle thing. Easily destroyed by selfishness, envy, ill will, and fear. Easily invited by kindness, hope, forgiveness, and love.”- Donna Goddard
- “Life is a gift, and I try to respond with grace and courtesy.” – Maya Angelou
- “Grace is the only thing in the world that is stronger than shame.” – Richard Beck
- “Grace trumps karma.” – Ayden Byle
Quotes About Grace and Strength
- “Faith is a living, daring confidence in God’s grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.” – Martin Luther
- “Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God’s grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God’s grace.” – Jerry Bridges
- “But God’s grace is also exhibited when we humbly bow before Christ in repentance and faith, for then we find forgiveness. Thank God for His grace, for without it we would have no hope!” – Billy Graham
- “The grace of the spirit comes only from heaven, and lights up the whole bodily presences.” – Charles Spurgeon
- “If we ask God for a calm, thankful heart that sees all the blessings His grace imparts, He can teach us many lessons in illness that can never be learned in health.” – David Jeremiah
- “The meaning of life. The wasted years of life. The poor choices of life. God answers the mess of life with one word: ‘grace.’” – Max Lucado
- “Grace means undeserved kindness. It is the gift of God to man the moment he sees he is unworthy of God’s favor.” – Dwight L. Moody
- “… bring your need, your troubles, your afflictions, your loneliness into the heart of God’s grace and deliverance.” – David Powlison
- “Heavenly Father, loosen my grip on the things of this world. Lead me in the dance of spontaneous, cheerful giving, and let that generosity remind me always of your grace toward me, which I in no way deserve. In your Son’s name I pray, amen.” – Max Lucado
- “Grace is not simply leniency when we have sinned. Grace is the enabling gift of God not to sin. Grace is power, not just pardon.” – John Piper
- “What gives me the most hope every day is God’s grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God.” – Rick Warren
- “For it is the grace of Christ, and not our own virtue, that gives us the power to overcome the flesh and the world.” – Thomas A Kempis
- “Grace is everywhere as an active orientation of all created reality toward God.” – Karl Rahner
- “Windows of grace don’t stay open forever. There’s a limited time where God gives you an opportunity to rise higher. When you have the faith for it, that’s the time to act.” – Joel Osteen
- “Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.” – Peter 1:2
- “We can be certain that God will give us the strength and resources we need to live through any situation in life that he ordains. The will of God will never take us where the grace of God cannot sustain us.” – Billy Graham
- “Life is so much easier when I am aware of God’s grace in my life, all the wonderful gifts I’ve been given, and the people whom I have been blessed to meet and know.” – Joe Hoft
Using Quotes About Giving Yourself Grace
In my own personal experience, learning to show myself grace has helped me completely reframe the way I see my failures. I now find it easier to treasure hunt for the growth opportunities in my setbacks, and I speak kinder to myself more often than I have in the past.
Learning to overcome a perfectionist mindset is a challenge that many people face. Choosing your favorite quotes from this list will help remind you to be kind to yourself, even on your worst days. I am hopeful that these quotes about giving yourself grace help you on your journey!
Don’t forget to share this post with your friends and family on social media! If you know someone who could use quotes about giving themselves grace, this post could be just what they need!